bridge information


The Billie Creek Bridge
World Guide #14-61-19
Parke County Guide #39

Billie Creek Bridge

Crossing Williams Creek, within Billie Creek Village, this 78-foot (including the 8-foot overhang at each end) long Burr Arch truss structure was built by J.J. Daniels in 1895. The foundation was constructed by J.L. Van Fossen out of cut sandstone hauled from A.E. Fuel’s quarry less than a mile away.

The Billie Creek Bridge replaced an earlier, open bridge constructed by J.A. Britton in 1880. The bridge was on the Pikes Peak, Plank Road, and Ocean to Ocean Road that became US 36. Like the Sim Smith Bridge, it was saved by rerouting the highway and was not destroyed as many other bridges.

The bridge was made into a tourist attraction by moving and restoring local historic buildings near the bridge site. Billie Creek Village now includes a historic church, school, general store, governor’s home, barn, and other features. The Beeson Covered Bridge and the Leatherwood Station Bridge have also been moved near this site. It was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 22, 1978.

The Billie Creek Bridge is intermittently opened and closed for traffic control.

Parke County is the home of the nation's largest Covered Bridge Festival (see Established in 1821 and named in honor of the first territorial delegate to Congress, Benjamin Parke, this county is located in West Central Indiana and Rockville is the County Seat.

Parke County originally had fifty-seven (57) known covered bridges plus one (1) it shared with Vermillion County to it's west. Today it has thirty (30) remaining.

Points of interest in the County include: Turkey Run State Park, Billie Creek Village, Raccoon Lake Recreation Area, and all of the beautiful Covered Bridges.