bridge information


The Neet Bridge
World Guide #14-61-18
Parke County Guide #10

Neet Bridge

Crossing Little Raccoon Creek, this 144-foot long (including the 9-foot overhang at each end Burr Arch truss structure was built by J.J. Daniels in 1904. It was bypassed in 1996 the Neet bridge is now a pedestrian path off a branch of Bridgeton Road.

The Neet Bridge was the last covered bridge contracted by J.J. Daniels; he was 78. The bridge was named for nearby landowners, Joseph and George Neet, who each farmed property adjacent to the bridge. Robert Detrich was a later part-owner of the bridge, and a nearby property was called Detrich Tree Farm, which caused many to refer to it as the Detrich Bridge.

It was repainted in 1989 by Boy Scout Troop 469. The area around the bridge is maintained by neighbors Bob Lowdermilk and John Tilton. It was posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 22, 1978.

Parke County is the home of the nation's largest Covered Bridge Festival (see Established in 1821 and named in honor of the first territorial delegate to Congress, Benjamin Parke, this county is located in West Central Indiana and Rockville is the County Seat.

Parke County originally had fifty-seven (57) known covered bridges plus one (1) it shared with Vermillion County to it's west. Today it has thirty (30) remaining.

Points of interest in the County include: Turkey Run State Park, Billie Creek Village, Raccoon Lake Recreation Area, and all of the beautiful Covered Bridges.