bridge information


The Crooks Bridge
World Guide #14-61-17
Parke County Guide #12

Crooks Bridge

The Crooks Covered Bridge was first built in 1856, making it the oldest standing covered bridge in Parke County. It is a 154-foot (including the 11-foot overhang at each end), single-span Burr Arch Truss structure with a hewn stone foundation, that crosses Little Raccoon Creek on County Road South 275 East, just southeast of Rockville Indiana. The Crooks bridge is also known as "Walker Adams Bridge" and "Darroch’s Lost Bridge."

After the road the bridge sat on was abandoned in 1863, the bridge was taken down, and the history of the bridge becomes quite murky. Some say it was washed downstream and, where it landed, a foundation and new road was put in. Others claim the creek changed course and the bridge had to be moved to span the banks. Another source reports General Arthur Patterson, one of the founders of Rockville, rebuilt the bridge in 1867 after a viewing committee, which included J.J.Daniels, recommended the bridge be restored. J.J.Daniels also recommended that it be rebuilt at Darroch’s Site, which he considered safe from flooding - though it was damaged, and then repaired, from a flood in 1875.

Crooks's Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, and is open to traffic.

Parke County is the home of the nation's largest Covered Bridge Festival (see Established in 1821 and named in honor of the first territorial delegate to Congress, Benjamin Parke, this county is located in West Central Indiana and Rockville is the County Seat.

Parke County originally had fifty-seven (57) known covered bridges plus one (1) it shared with Vermillion County to it's west. Today it has thirty (30) remaining.

Points of interest in the County include: Turkey Run State Park, Billie Creek Village, Raccoon Lake Recreation Area, and all of the beautiful Covered Bridges.