bridge information


The Cataract Falls Bridge
World Guide #14-60-01

Cataract Falls Bridge

This 140-foot long structure was built to cross Mill Creek by the Smith Bridge Company in 1876 with a Smith type #4 truss. When it was bypassed in 1970, the Cataract Falls bridge underwent major restoration that necessitated removing it from its abutments. Restoration was complete in 2005 with a formal dedication on the 29th of April in 2006. It is still closed to traffic.

Established in 1818 and named in honor of Colonel Abraham Owen, who played a command role at the Battle of Tippecanoe, Owen County is located in West Central Indiana where Spencer is the County Seat.

Owen County originally had seven (7) covered bridges. Today it has one (1) remaining.

Points of interest in the County include: McCormick's Creek State Park as well as Cataract Lake and Cataract Falls Recreation Area.