bridge information


The Williams Bridge
World Guide #14-47-02

Williams Bridge

Crossing the East Fork of White River and constructed with a Howe truss, this 376-foot double-span structure was built by J.J. Daniels in 1884 and is still open to traffic.

Lawrence County was established in 1819 and named in honor of Captain James Lawrence, the American naval officer whose trips to England in 1811 produced the unsatisfactory answers that led to the War of 1812. He is most famous for his final words, "Don't give up the ship!" This county is located in Central Indiana where Bedford is the County Seat.

Lawrence County originally had six (6) covered bridges. Today it only one (1) remains.

Points of interest in the County include: Bedford Limestone, the Empire Quarry (Empire State Building), Williams Dam State Fishing Area, Spring Mill State Park, Blue Springs Caverns, Virgil "Gus" Grissom Memorial and the Devils Backbone.